The city has been buzzing with exciting art events recently, from show openings in galleries to the Mayor’s first annual Gala for the Arts last weekend. Ottawa is finding it’s place as a leader in the development of the arts. The momentum continues on Thursday evening, October 20th with the Opening Reception for DIMENSIONS, the 2016 Sculpture Exhibit put on by the National Capital Network of Sculptors.
This is the largest collection of sculptural works ever in the city. Over 120 sculptures – over 40 artists. But there’s more! Presentations, demonstrations where you can try your hand at a sculptural techniques, guest speakers and live ephemeral pumpkins carving. For the budget-conscious looking for unique gift ideas – support an artist and buy local! Check out our Gift Boutique where original artworks are priced under $100.
Whether you come out for the Opening Reception or take advantage of the presentations and demonstrations going on all weekend – this event is the best bargain in town – Admission is FREE!
Visit us in the Horticulture Building at Lansdowne Park, October 20-23.
OPENING RECEPTION – Thursday, October 20th, 6:00pm to 9:00pm – Mayor Jim Watson will officially kick-off the 18th annual Exhibit. Come meet the artists and enjoy some refreshments.
- Friday, October 21st, 12:00pm to 5:00 pm
- 1:00pm – Patrick Imai – Stone Carving presentation and hands-on experience
- 2:00pm – Line Labrecque – Polymer Clay – exploring this exciting new medium
- 3:00 pm – Garry Bowes – Wood Turning Presentation
- Saturday, October 22nd, 12:00pm to 5:00pm
- 1:00pm – France Grice – Glass is Amazing!
- 2:00pm – Stephane Tremblay – The Art of Letter Carving in Stone
- 3:00pm – Alenka Pacquet – Working with Clay – a hands-on-experience
- SUNDAY, OCTOBER 23rd, 11:00am to 4:00pm
- 1:00pm – GUEST ARTIST – DAVID CLENDINING
- David will be talking about the process of doing bronze monuments from concept to casting and the importance of art in society. David is the owner and operator of Summit Studios. Based out of the National Capital Region Summit Studios has displays, sculptures and installations in Museums and public areas across the nation and around the world. In Ottawa, you can see David’s bronze work on Confederation Blvd. and the Gargoyles on Parliament Hill. You will have the rare opportunity to see the oil clay carved maquette of his life size bronze, Merchant Marines Monument and the original carve of Animals in War Monument. Don miss this unique opportunity.